Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Tuesday Tunes, Vol. II

OK: LaLa (the music player website) is apparently a ripoff. I thought I’d found a Wondrous Website that would let me post playlists on here weekly free of charge (I mean, it’s not like you can download the tracks illegally via my blog…well, maybe you can, but I have no idea how, and I’m willing to bet that most of you don’t know how either), but no, it seems that once you've created a couple of playlists they start charging you for its use. I’m still going to do the weekly playlist thing because I’m really overly excited (read: I’m an insanely eager nerd) about it, but I might have to always use YouTube clips (yeah, I know, slightly less convenient). YouTube will be convenient for this particular week’s playlist, though, because, Guess What, I’m sticking with my week-long Gossip Girl countdown theme (sorry to those of you who don’t watch. Oh wait, no I’m not…your problem, not mine. Everyone should watch this show). The theme of this playlist is going to be THE BEST OF GOSSIP GIRL TUNES IN SEASON 1 OMYGAH.
The songs I’ve chosen for the playlist don’t necessarily correspond to the “most epic/ridiculous/amazing etc.” moments on the show, they’re just awesome songs that were featured in the show’s debut season. Some of them were, however, included in Huge Moments so I’ll post clips of those scenes. I want to reiterate for the millionth time how amazing Alex Patsavas, the show’s music supervisor, is. She always mixes new independent artists with familiar old(ish) tunes and big radio singles for GG; you may look at this list and scoff “Psh. Independent? Hardly…” but Gossip Girl, much like The O.C. before it, tends to set music trends and put bands on the cultural radar. Even if you personally didn’t discover them via GG, well, when a song has a sudden surge of popularity, backtrack 2 months and you’ll see that it was featured on Gossip Girl just before. A-Pat, my hat is off to you. And…I want your job.

I just realized I’m definitely doing this whole GG-countdown thing way more for my benefit than for anyone else reading this. Haha. Whoops. Oh well, at least I’m honest about it. Look at this way: it’ll give me more to post about next week when we bring ourselves up to speed on all the other Big News of this week. XOXO, darlings.

1. Young Folks – Peter Bjorn & John

This is THE FIRST SONG EVER PLAYED on Gossip Girl. It’s playing as we’re introduced to so many huge elements of the series: the mysterious return of Serena van der Woodsen, LonelyBoy’s unrequited love for her, Rufus’s new status as “divorced,” and, of course, GOSSIP GIRL herself, whoever she may be, voiced from the beginning by the wonderful Kristen Bell. OK, and does that shot of Serena’s Face of Despair against the window remind anyone else of Ryan Atwood’s face on Sandy’s car window used in the credits of The O.C.? Wow, clearly I enjoy Josh Schwartz’s creations WAAAY too much.

2. Hard to Live in the City- Albert Hammond Jr.

Apologies for the image of pills (??) in that clip rather than the scene itself. This was just the only clip I could find of the studio version of this song. Once again, I’m cursing LaLa right now. This song was used in the pilot, in that shot of Chuck, Blair, Is, Kati etc. basking in revelry just before the First Big Party of the series.

3. Time to Pretend-MGMT

Used in the season 1 finale, “Much I Do About Nothing.”

4. What Goes Around…/…Comes Around Interlude – Justin Timberlake

Another Pilot song.

4. Hang Me Up to Dry-Cold War Kids

A-Pat loves her some Nathan Willett.

5. Beautiful Girls-Sean Kingston

Ending of “The Bad News Blair.” Reconciliation (um, again) of two besties and a We Just Made-Up and Are Totally Cute Bifflez Photo Shoot.

6. We Started Nothing-The Ting Tings

Once again, sorry for that huge YouTube box when there isn’t even a GG scene in it. LaLa=Laaaaaame.

7. Go-Hanson

Dan and Serena’s first date in the pilot, set to the harmonies of the Hanson brothers. Aaaaaw.

7. Do the Panic-Phantom Planet

Try to NOT get this song stuck in your head.

8. Whatever (Folk Song in C)-Elliott Smith

I believe this was playing during a “tender” Dan & Serena moment. Blech…but a lovely song.

9. When Did Your Heart Go Missing?-Rooney

Serena was frantically looking for her shoes and arguing with Lily before “The Wild Brunch” when this played. (I can feel you judging me. STOP).

10. Sour Cherry-The Kills

I’ve already sung the praises of this scene before. Little J proves herself to the Mean Girls as it plays, Blair declares war with her eyes, and Serena gets news that Georgina is coming back. Of course, when it first aired we had no idea who G was, which makes this all the more epic. Adding to this clip’s amazingness: The “1812” on Chuck’s door. WARTIME, Y’ALL.

11. I Feel it All-Feist

Dan blathers about college or something while viewers probably just tune him out and bop their heads to Feist. (OK, I’m being really hard on Dan today. Sorry…he’s not that bad, just annoying).

12. Back to Black-Amy Winehouse

Yet another song from the pilot!

13. The General Specific-Band of Horses

I LOVE THIS SONG. I believe Dan and Serena were in a certain snowy room when this song was featured…Yeah, other obsessive crazies will remember exactly what I’m talking about.

14. Someone Great-LCD Soundsystem

This is a positively amazing song, and, positively amazingly, all the Constance/St. Jude’s kids got off basically scot-free for the pool party they threw on school property as it played.

15. Apologize-Timbaland feat. OneRepublic

Now this was used in a ridiculously good/frustrating episode!!!! Gossip Girl’s voiceover here…there are no words. And I want to cry at the end when Chuck heads for the airport.

16. The Ice is Getting Thinner-Death Cab For Cutie

Baaaaaahhhh. Season 1 finale. I can't even handle how wonderful Chuck and Blair are. Dan and Serena's thoughts: "OMG, we're sooo complicated. We can't possibly take pictures because we've been through so much together."

I'm ridiculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment