Saturday, February 27, 2010

Reasons to be Excited for Week 1 of March!!!

Reason #1 is the day of MARCH 1 itself. As we get closer and closer to spring I can feel my Semi-Serious Seasonal Affective Disorder finally starting to fade. Snow's novelty wore off for me during freshman year. It was fun when it came once every 4 or 5 years or completely randomly on the first day of spring break (really) back home, but here at School we'll get a foot of snow, then a torrential downpour of rain, then snow again and the resulting little monster is SLUSH. Coupled with occasional hair-freezing temperatures and my constant wish for a fashionable, everyday ski mask, winter weather is generally Not Fun.

MARCH 2. Rogue Wave will release a new album, Permalight, on Brushfire Records. Yayayayay!!! These NoCal boys have promised (via frontman Zach Rogue) that the album is "fun, for lack of a better word," and who doesn't love fun? R-Dub hasn't always been releasing "fun" music, though-this may be a slightly out-of-character album. They're more known for their delicate semi-Shins-like voices and pastoral melodies. Worth noting: Permalight was recorded in Oxford, MS at Sweet Tea Studios with Dennis Herring (a la Modest Mouse.) Cool things ARE always happening in Mississippi!! Pre-order Permalight at InSound and get a free poster!! OH HAY.



MARCH 7. Jean Paul Gaultier will become the latest in a long line of Big Name Designers to debut his Piece-o-the-Pie-fo-us-Po-Folks (aka his line for Target). Prices range from $17.99 to $199.99 for some of the coats and jackets. Personally, I'm Digging That Outerwear. I've been looking for a good brown leather jacket (or pleather, I'm generally fine with it, save patent pleather) and this one is cute and relatively affordable:



*Take note: Use of Bump-It in conjunction with wearing JPG trench=not required.

Even if you think you're unfamiliar with JPG, you're not; the man designed some very iconic cones for a certain Madonna. Thanks to him, costume parties the world over have never been the same.
I also loved reading a recent interview with him in Elle where he stated that "to be honest, I am obsessed with American TV and movies. It's the reason I became a designer" after citing Marlon Brando, Iggy Pop, and hamburgers as some of his favorite American things. YEEESSS, it's so good to know that something good can come from being overly enamored with Most Everything Pop Culture.



ALSO MARCH 7: The Oscars.
So, yes, the Academy may have unnecessarily doubled the list of Best Picture nominees this year for the 82nd annual ceremony, but there are some amazing movies in this year's lineup (my favorite movie of the year, (500) Days of Summer, didn't get a nod, but whatever. I'm still watching.) Oscar Outfit Ogling is always fun and watching the acceptance speeches always somehow chokes me up and gives me the illusion that I'm actually in the movie industry and know the person making the speech and worked on the movie with them. Wait, did I just admit that?

Remember this??

I'm really tempted to cheat, move out of the first week by one day, and list what I'm so excited for on MARCH 8, but I'll let you figure that one out. I'm sure it'll be really difficult.


Oh, and since Anna Margaret still hasn't posted in over 2 weeks, here she is as Satan in a Snuggie:

1 comment:

  1. Umm I feel like you left one out.. Alice in Wonderland on March 5th.
    XOXO Grace

    ReplyDelete